Green Party Leader Eamon Ryan TD today accused the Fine Gael Government of greenwashing and described their ‘Green Week’ campaign, which launched today, as ‘laughable’.
Speaking in response to the campaign, he said: “In one way, you have to admire Fine Gael’s brass neck to run a ‘Green Week’ environmental campaign, given their record in this area. The notion that Fine Gael take environmental issues is absolutely laughable. This campaign is nothing short of greenwashing.
“This Fine Gael Government has utterly failed on environmental issues and tackling climate change. A week-long spin campaign won’t change that.”
Since the 2016 General Election, Fine Gael have:
- Opposed legislation from Senator Grace O’Sullivan to ban microbeads and introduce marine protected areas.
- Opposed the Green Party’s Waste Reduction Bill
- Opposed efforts to halt future fossil fuel exploration in Irish territory
- Cut spending on sustainable travel programmes that support cycling and walking
- Been ranked as the second worst country in Europe on efforts to tackle climate change.
- Continued to favour motorway construction and urban sprawl over sustainable planning solutions in the Ireland 2040 plan.
Share this post